International Services

A global university with more than 30,000 students from all over the world, Limkokwing University works closely with the Immigration Department to ensure all our international students meet immigration procedures to enjoy a happy and trouble-free stay in Malaysia.

Immigration Policies

Please read through all the information carefully to minimise delay and other problems that may arise regarding your student pass. Alternatively, you may consult our marketing counsellors or email for assistance.

Requirements for New International Students :

You must have a minimum validity of 18 months (1 ½ year) in your passport in order to enter the country.

Procedure for New International Students :

    • To apply for your student pass, please coordinate and send all the necessary documents to the University’s marketing counsellors. They will submit this to the Immigration Department of Malaysia for processing. Please note that the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) processing will take 6 to 8 weeks after you submit your complete set of documents.
    • All new students MUST go to the nearest Malaysian Embassy of the country of origin to obtain a Single Entry Visa (SEV) before entering Malaysia. Please refer to this link to check whether your country requires the SEV.
    • The VAL is valid for only six (6) months. You should get your Single Entry Visa and come to Malaysia at least one (1) month before your VAL expires.
    • Once you get your Single Entry Visa and have made your travel arrangements, inform the University at least seven (7) working days before leaving your country. Please bring a copy of your VAL.
    • Post medical screening (medical checkup requirement after obtaining eVAL) should be done within 7 days with an EMGS panel clinic upon arrival in Malaysia and you are required to submit the medical slip and your passport to the Visa Unit at least 14 working days before your Social Visa (Entry stamp to Malaysia) expires. Late submission of your passport will require you to pay a Penalty of RM1700 or onwards.
    • You may download the medical forms here
    • You are required to re-apply as a new student if your eVAL has expired. Please note there is no extension for eVAL renewal.
    • As required by the Malaysian government, international students MUST undergo two sets of health examination/medical check-up:
    • First health examination (pre medical screening) which should be done before applying for your eVAL for student pass from the country of origin. Please refer to this link to check EMGS panel clinic in your origin country
    • Please note that it is compulsory for students from India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka to do a medical screening at an EMGS Registered Clinic in their home country.
    • You are required to perform the post arrival medical health check within three (3) days upon arrival with the appointed panel clinics by EMGS. You may obtain the form and the list of appointed panel clinics from the Visa Department.
    • You must submit your passport to the department once your medical check-up is approved (please make sure the EMGS status has reached 80%).
    • The Visa Department will submit your passport to EMGS for student pass endorsement. The endorsement process may take approximately two (2) - three (3) weeks. This duration is just an estimation and is subjected to EMGS and Immigration.
    • The appeal of the medical health check report is subject to the approval from the EMGS.
    • It is your responsibility to perform the medical check-up and submit your passport to the Visa Department within the stipulated time or it will cause insufficient time for EMGS to process your student pass endorsement. If you submit your passport after the expiry date, it is considered an overstay.
    • The eVAL is your letter from the Immigration allowing you to study in Malaysia.
    • Single Entry Visa is a stamp or sticker in your passport issued by the Malaysian Embassy.

You must abide by Malaysian laws at all times

    You have committed a case of misconduct when:

    • You are found guilty of criminal charges by court.
    • You are involved in any jobs, trades or the like, on part-time basis, which are deemed illegal in the Immigration Ordinance 1959 and the Immigration Rules and Regulations 1963 or other laws or that which could affect his studies.

    It is considered a serious offence if a student:

    • is found to be in possession of any kind of drugs and poisons. The term ‘drug’ is as defined in the Dangerous Drug Act 1952.
    • is found to provide, to supply, to distribute, to offer or to prepare any of the above drugs or poisons to any other parties.
    • is involved in drug abuse of any kind.
    • is found to be in possession of any kind of drugs and poisons. The term ‘drug’ is as defined in the Dangerous Drug Act 1952.

    You are to abide by all the rules and regulations that are enforced by the institution.


Important Updates


There are no pickups during weekends and on public holidays. (Please check with the International Student Services Department for a complete listing of public holidays.)

Variation & Progression

Please take note that the approval for changing of programme is upon discretion from the Malaysia Immigration Department (MID). Normally the MID will request additional documents such as current examination result, record of attendance and other required documents.

Variation & Progression Overview :

Variation & Progression Overview:

The MID has the right to NOT APPROVE the new Visa and Pass (for change of programme) if they find that the current result is not satisfactory or any other reason that does not comply with the Immigration’s regulation.

To avoid any difficulty students may face, Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) has recommended that the application for a change of programme (variation or progression) for international students must get an approval VAL from EMGS /Malaysia Immigration Department before permission to register under the new programme is allowed by Limkokwing University.

Students must cancel their current pass to apply for a variation or progression in order to apply for a new programme.

There is a possibility that the Immigration Department will request the student to exit Malaysia while waiting for the new VAL to be approved.

  • Variation – Change course or Institution at same level of study (i.e Programme A to programme B at same level of study)
  • Progression – Applications for a higher level of studies upon completion of the current studies (i.e Master to PhD)

If your application for variation is rejected by the EMGS/ Immigration Department of Malaysia, you are required to defer your studies and return to your home country. You will be required to apply for a new student pass and only allowed to come to Malaysia once the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) has been approved by EMGS/ Immigration.

You cannot register with the new programme until you get your VAL approval from Immigration. You may be advised to return to your home country and defer your study if the visa approval from Immigration is delayed.

The requirement to exit Malaysia depends on the type of the pass you are holding at the time of application and expiry date on your current pass, as well as the University you are transferring to or from. To avoid overstaying, we advise students to apply for a new VAL from their home country.


Guidelines for Transfer Students from Other Colleges: :

    • If you are a student who wishes to transfer to our University after receiving your student visa for another college, you will need to get the Immigration’s approval to cancel that visa. Students holding a valid pass under one college are not allowed to study in another.
    • Students who have less than three (3) days visa validity (shortened/special pass) need to leave the country upon submitting all relevant documents to our visa department. You must be outside Malaysia while waiting for your VAL to be approved.
    • Once approved by the Immigration, the University will send your VAL. You are required to go to the nearest Malaysian Embassy (preferably in your home country) to obtain a Single Entry Visa.
    • Except for Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) students below 18 years old are not allowed to study under any kind of visa except student visa or the Permission to Study stamp.

Student Pass Renewal


Guidelines for Current International Students: :

To renew your student pass, please email all the requirements needed for your visa renewal application to You will be issued with a student pass for a maximum duration of 12 months.

To avoid overstaying your student pass, the University recommends that the Student Pass Renewal application be submitted (together with all required documents) 3 months before the student pass expiry date as required by Malaysia Immigration Department.

You are responsible to monitor the expiry date of your pass (i.e. Student pass expiry on 15 February 2020, you can submit renewal by 15 November 2019 or Pass expiry on 20 September 2020, you can submit renewal by 20 June 2020)

Additional requirement by Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS):

  • Must submitted overall attendance report (above 80%)
  • CGPA must above 2.00

The renewal of a student pass will cost you between RM394 - RM818 (see below) including health insurance, EMGS fee, Multiple Entry Visa fee (Immigration fee), i-card and Limkokwing University admin fee.

Renewal Fees (By Malaysian Ringgit)
Fees Duration of Passport Validity
2 Months - RM 394 5 Months
3 Months - RM 436 6 Months
4 Months - RM 479 7 Months
5 Months - RM 521 8 Months
6 Months - RM 563 9 Months
7 Months - RM 606 10 Months
8 Months - RM 648 11 Months
9 Months - RM 691 12 Months
10 Months - RM 733 13 Months
11 Months - RM 775 14 Months
12 Months - RM 818 15 Months

Students must submit the application 3 months before the visa expiry date – failure to do so will result in an overstay penalty of RM1700 or onwards.

It should take around 7-9 weeks upon receipt of a complete document and payment. You have to submit the document at the Visa Department counter. The application for renewal must be sent through EMGS by the University to obtain the Supporting Letter prior to submission for sticker endorsement at Immigration Department.

If your application for renewal of student pass is rejected by the EMGS/ Immigration Department of Malaysia, you are required to defer your studies and return to your home country. You will be required to apply for a new student pass and are only allowed to come to Malaysia once the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) has been approved by EMGS/ Immigration.

You are required to submit your original passport only when the EMGS tracker shows progress of 90% (minimum 4 weeks after submission of document to Visa Department).

You are not allowed to purchase any flight ticket before obtaining your student pass/passport from the University to avoid any problem from arising afterwards. Please note that it will take 7-9 weeks for the renewal process. Limkokwing University will not be liable for any late approval by Immigration.

The supporting documents you need to email to :

  • One (1) passport-sized photograph
  • One (1) Full passport copy (including empty pages)
  • One (1) old passport copy (including empty pages) - if applicable
  • Student pass renewal fee
  • Student with Conditional Offer Letter MUST provide: IELTS / MUET / TOEFL / PTE certificate
  • Original Supporting Letter from the Faculty / LEC (Addressed to EMGS) for below situations:
  • Student Deferred Semester or Subject / Failed any subject / GNS/ DNC/ Academic progress report
  • Expected graduation date for Post Graduate Student
  • Visa extension (studies more than course of duration)
  • Receipt of tuition fee payment (one year’s fees for a one-year student pass)
  • Immigration fee for student pass renewal (the fee varies from country to country)
  • Three (3) full sets of passport copy: the main page and visa page in colour

Note: It takes around two months to process a student pass renewal, according to Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS).

  • Passport: Your passport should have at least 18 months of validity.
  • Attendance: You should have an attendance equal to or more than 95% upon first renewal and at least 80% on subsequent renewals. If you were absent for three (3) consecutive days in class, you need to provide a valid reason to the Immigration Department of Malaysia.
  • Academic results: You must have a minimum 2.00 CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average). Anyone having less than a 2.00 CGPA will have to reapply, leave the country, and enter Malaysia with a new VAL.
  • Please note that the Immigration Department of Malaysia has the right to cancel a student pass based on poor academic results and attendance.

Not Allowed to Work with a Student Pass

International students are NOT ALLOWED to work in Malaysia. You are also NOT ALLOWED to engage in any business activities, directly or indirectly. You can be deported immediately for doing this.

Return Home/Holiday

If you wish to return home or go on holiday, you must submit your passport to get a visa three (3) months before the expiry date of your student pass. You will also need to show ISSD a copy of your ticket two (2) weeks before departure.

Submit Your Passport to Visa Department

Fourteen (14) days before the current visa expires with RM 100 Special Pass payment AND / OR when application reaches 90% in EMGS online tracker.

Note: If the EMGS supporting letter expires, payment of RM 120 will be applied for EMGS supporting letter renewal (WITHIN 3 MONTHS AFTER EXPIRY). Should the expiry period of your visa sticker reach 3 months, you must re-apply for your approval letter.

To Follow-Up on Your Application

Please email the Visa department:

Type of Process Person In-Charge Email Address
LUCT New Applications Visa Department
LUCT Renewal Applications Visa Department
LUCT Reapply Applications Visa Department
Inquiries Visa Department

Important Note: It takes 6-8 weeks to obtain a Supporting Letter (SLC). Do note that you are NOT ALLOWED to leave Malaysia during your application period. Please refer to the Visa Department for assistance/ clarification.


To find out more about overstay regulations, please refer to the Overstay tab. To find out more about the special pass, please refer to the Special Pass (SP) & Transfer Endorsement tab.

Please email to request for the visa application checklist.

Cancellation of Student Pass

Graduate/ Completion of Studies from LIMKOKWING UNIVERSITY

Students who have completed their studies must cancel their student pass.

Deferment of Studies

A student who defers from studies must get approval from University and must cancel a student pass. Students who have defer from study cannot apply for renewal and must return to your home country.

You will be required to apply for a new student pass and only allowed to come to Malaysia once the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) has been approved by EMGS/ Immigration.

Withdrawal or Termination from studies

A student who withdraws from his/her study must inform Limkokwing University before leaving Malaysia. The student pass will be cancelled, upon submission of passport, withdrawal letter from faculty, and confirmed flight ticket.

Change Programme or Change University

  • A Student who has accepted an admission offer letter from another institution must cancel Limkokwing University’s student pass.
  • A student who had changed a programme within Limkokwing University is also required to cancel the current student pass and apply variation/progression to the new programme.


Important Updates

  • Applicant who wants to change the pass from dependent / employment pass to student pass required to apply for cancellation of the current pass.
  • Leaving Malaysia without cancelling your student pass can cause consequences if a student decides to apply to another University within Malaysia/ to apply for another visa in Malaysia.
  • It is a requirement by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) for the University to report to the MOHE, Royal Police Malaysia and Malaysia Immigration Department if a student did not return / not registered / missing in action without valid reason or prior permission from the University. The student will be blacklisted to enter Malaysia by the Malaysia Immigration Department.

Special Pass (SP) & Transfer Endorsement

A special pass is a temporary pass issued by the Malaysia Immigration Department. The application for a special pass is subject to approval by the Malaysia Immigration Department. It is valid for 30 days (1st Special Pass) under the following conditions:

  • Current student pass had expired WITHIN 7 days.
  • When converting from current pass to other passes with insufficient time less on current pass. (Terms and conditions apply).
  • When the current pass has expired while waiting for Student pass/extension/renewal application approval. (Terms and conditions apply).

Immigration will charge RM100 for each Special pass issued.

Special Pass Issue Upon Discretion of Immigration Department

The Malaysia Immigration Department has tightened the implementation of issuance of the Special Pass. A student can only apply for a special pass under strict conditions.

When You Have a New Passport

If you renew or change your passport, you will need to transfer your student pass to the new passport. Your student pass is not valid in old/cancelled passports. Please consult with the Visa Department immediately.

Special Pass Duration

Please note that the student may obtain FINAL Special Pass (The Immigration Department has notified that no further extension is allowed)

Special Pass 1 – 27 days > 30 days

The student MUST provide the flight ticket in accordance to the application of Special Pass should the need arise

Important: Payment for Special Pass remains at RM 100 each regardless of the duration

When You Have a New Passport

If a student has to leave Malaysia and re-enter with a social stamp once the supporting letter is approved, payment of RM 600 is applicable to issue a visa sticker.

Check Out Memo

A check-out memo is issued by Malaysia Immigration Department for students who entered Malaysia using VAL, however, did not proceed with registration / failed medical check-up / personal reasons / cancellation of student pass.

Please proceed to the Visa Department for a check-out memo application. It will take 14 working days to complete.

Note: Immigration may deny students to exit Malaysia if they entered the country using VAL and will not complete student pass endorsement.



Overstaying is an offence in Malaysian Law. Malaysia Immigration Department (MID) will impose a penalty ranging from RM1,000 – RM10,000 depending on the duration of your overstay and/or a jail term up to 5 years. You may be blacklisted and deported back to your home country. You can be prohibited to enter Malaysia for a period of time. The process of overstayed clearance will take minimum 3 months following on MID standard of procedure.

Overstaying for less than seven (7) days

  • If you overstay for less than seven (7) days, you must write a letter to the Immigration Department of Malaysia explaining the reason for overstaying in the country.
  • You must be present at the Immigration with a representative from the Visa Department to submit the application form.
  • You will receive a warning letter from the Immigration and will be required to pay an overstay penalty.

Overstaying for more than seven (7) days

  • If you overstay for more than seven (7) days, you must write a letter to the Immigration Department of Malaysia explaining the reason for overstaying in the country.
  • You must be present at the Immigration with a representative from the Visa Department to submit the application form.
  • Overstaying charges:

  • 1st Overstay - RM 1,200 (New/Transfer), RM 1,700 (Current Student)
  • Overstay period reaches 6 Months or more - RM 2,700
  • Overstay 1 year and above - RM 3,700
  • 2nd Overstay and MORE - RM 3,700

  • All overstay students will face consequences of being BLACKLISTED by the Malaysian Immigration Department if it is not supported by the Immigration of Student Pass Unit.
  • Please note that ALL overstay cases may OR may not result in compound of RM 5,000, please be prepared

Note: You will also need to wait for a new VAL.


Airport Pickup

Airport Pick up service is provided for all new students who have an immigration approval to study in Malaysia. Students must communicate with their marketing counsellor and submit the Airport Arrival Form one (1) week before flying to Malaysia. Students are required to mention information such as flight number, date and expected time of arrival in the form. The student will then be referred to the accommodation manager to proceed with the check in process at the hostel.

  • Students who have immigration approval to study in Malaysia will be greeted and welcomed by the staff and to ensure smooth entry into the country. Currently the EMGS staff clears the students at the airport due to the pandemic situation.
  • Transportation from the airport to the university hostel will be provided for the safety purposes.
  • We strongly advise all international students to enter Malaysia with valid immigration approval. Limkokwing University of Creative Technology will not take any responsibility for students who fail to do so.


There are no pickups during weekends and on public holidays. (Please check with the International Student Services Department for a complete listing of public holidays.)

Insurance Unit

It is compulsory for all international students to purchase medical insurance, to be renewed yearly during their stay at Limkokwing. Student visas will not be extended unless the medical insurance is purchased and tuition fees paid.

All international students must undergo a medical examination in their respective countries before leaving for Malaysia.

Medical Insurance

Medical Insurance is compulsory for both international and local students to purchase a medical card on a yearly basis during their stay at Limkokwing. All international students must undergo a medical examination once they arrive in Malaysia. Once the student's medical examination result is approved by the EMGS, then the student is able to apply for the medical card (application goes together with the visa application process).

  • All international students are provided with a medical insurance card arranged by the EMGS office.
  • The healthcare programme coverage includes hospitalisation/inpatient treatment, outpatient and personal accident benefits with cashless transaction facilities.
  • Students treatment will be monitored by the Insurance company and the EMGS office
  • A detailed list of benefit, policy, panel clinics & Hospitals are provided in the following link:


Travel Desk

Whether you are planning for a holiday or a trip back home, you can seek assistance and advice on travelling arrangements at the International Services Office. We have contacts of tour agencies, transporters and hoteliers who may be able to accommodate your budget and travelling preferences.

Booking procedures

Bookings of transportation (air, land or sea) and hotels via International Services Office must be made as follows:

  • Local Trip – 1 week in advance
  • Overseas Trip 1 month in advance

All bookings need to be accompanied with advance booking payment, which include nominal administrative fee and partial transportation fee/ room charges.


International Student Service Department

Inovasi 1-1, Jalan Teknokrat 1/1
63000 Cyberjaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.

Business Hours :

Monday to Friday : 8.30am to 5.00pm
Saturday : 8.30am to 12.00pm